How Do Pedestrian Accidents Occur?
Pedestrian accidents are a constant source of concern for those of us who get around on foot. Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving: Texting while driving and other forms of distracted driving can significantly impact reaction time. All too often, distracted drivers do not brake in time to avoid a collision with a pedestrian.
- Crosswalk violations: Pedestrians always have the right of way in crosswalks. When drivers fail to yield, the results can turn tragic in an instant.
- Dark conditions: While darkness is no excuse for striking a pedestrian, people on foot are harder to see at night, especially if a driver is not attentive, or other factors such as poor headlights are present.
At Cheney Galluzzi & Howard, LLC, in Denver, we are committed to making Colorado streets safer for pedestrians and everyone. Our knowledge of the causes of pedestrian accidents helps us hold all negligent parties accountable for the losses our clients have suffered.
While drivers bear the responsibility of driving safely no matter what the conditions, pedestrians can help themselves by following a few common safety tips.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing
- Walk on the sidewalk
- Cross only at marked crosswalks
- Take extra caution if you see a driver swerving, speeding or acting erratically
While you can’t control the behaviors of drivers, taking a few extra precautions could save your life. If you were injured by a careless driver, you do have control over what happens next. You can seek justice and compensation by pursuing a personal injury claim.
Talk With An Attorney About Your Claim
Our attorneys are strong advocates for injured pedestrians in Denver and throughout Colorado. If you need legal help after a pedestrian accident, we are here to provide you with the skilled advocacy and attentive service you deserve. Call us at 303-578-4155 or contact us online to arrange a free initial consultation.